NEW FACULTY PREPARATION
Welcome to the Columbia University School of Professional Studies and congratulations on your faculty appointment. The following recommendations will help you prepare to teach your class.
- Visit the Faculty Onboarding section to get acquainted with faculty processes and procedures.
- Make sure to complete your new hire paperwork and activate your Columbia UNI - it’s your gateway to most resources at Columbia University.
- Get acquainted with Canvas, the university's learning management system.
- If you're teaching an online or hybrid course, check out our top tips for instructors; in addition, set aside some time to learn more about the online meeting and discussion tools in your course(s).
- Make your way through the Pre-flight Checklist to ensure you’re ready to teach by the first day of class.
- Find out how to get targeted, expedited assistance with course logistics and technology!
- Teaching for the very first time? Here are a few things you can do to prepare for your first teaching experience.
- If possible, observe at least one class like the one you will be teaching; speak with the instructor about problems or successes he or she has had with the course. To arrange an observation, please contact the academic director of your program.
- Ask experienced faculty or graduate students in your department for information and tips.
- Visit your classroom in advance and familiarize yourself with the lighting, equipment, and layout; it’s amazing how fast your technology IQ can drop when trying to figure out new equipment in front of a room of students!
- Teaching online for the first time? Here is an overview to get started.